Sep 3, 2014

The North Sea is passed.

Finally, we're sitting safe and sound on MacDonalds in Inverness, never to see the north sea again (until we come home, that is.)
We've had quite a rough weather, but the boat is a good one and we're holding in!

When going south from Shetland, it is very important to stay far away from the southern land, as the waves are enormous, uncontrollable and really dangerous. It says in all maps, and all the locals could tell you the same. Where did we go? IN THE MIDDLE.
Even though it resulted in massive fluid loss (hmpf), it was quite an amazing sight! The waves were 7-8 metres tall and from all directions at once. It looked really fake, and you wouldn't believe me even if I tried to explain the view. But I promise! It was the craziest ocean I've seen in my life. Actually, it was somehow worth it. We managed to pass through and get safely to Fair Isle.

Fair Isle was fantastic. And for me, extremely scary.
I was planning this perfect jogging trip around the island, all alone in the wild, untouched nature. (Well if you don’t count the millions of birds, sheep and guys with really huge cameras.) After about four minutes, slow jogging turned into hectic sprinting, when chocolate birds* started circling around me with the intention of splitting my head in half if I kept on interrupting them. I tried to move as far out on the edge as possible, and was praised for being brave when I returned. Truth is, I was too scared of the chocolate birds to even walk with a straight back! My heart was pumping wildly while I ran alongside a fence, shifty eyes constantly looking angry birds in the eye. Am I a coward? Yes. Yes, I am a coward.
In other words, it was more of a cardio workout than enjoying the nature. Note to self: don’t interrupt wildlife birds without wearing a helmet. Don’t interrupt wildlife birds.

In the bay where we stayed for the night, around 13 seals were chilling around in the water. Very cute!
Other than birds, sheep and cameras, the island could present an enormous twister-board, attached to the ground in the middle of huge masses of animal poo. I never got the chance to play, but I hereby invite all my friends for a big twister party the next time we’re all gathered on this remote island in the north sea. Hah. Hah… Hah.

*A chocolate bird is an enormous, aggressive bird that resembles chocolate.


Next day, we decided to go all the way to the canal, starting in the evening and arriving the next. In the night we had a visit of five dolphins playing with the boat for a few minutes - a fantastic sight! They were jumping only a few centimetres from the boat. I’ll see if I can post a video of that soon.
In about a week we’re hoping to see huge sharks, called Basking Sharks. They’re around 5 metres long and have jaws like whales. Super duper cool!

Tidal streams helped us getting quicker to our target and we will be in Loch Ness tomorrow or the day after! The caribbean is slowly getting closer…






Twister v.2; remote island 





 Cliff photographing

Scared-of-birds-selfie



 Dolphin watchers. They saw none. The boat is always the winner!



First step into freshwater. 27 locks left.


 Goodbye, ocean!

Our master chef making fantastic dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment